Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Nick & Johnny Black portion snus, reviewing a new member in the Nick & Johnny snus line!

Greetings Snustopians!

Today I thought I would bring you the first taste review of a snus destined to be released this month but, for now at least, will be released first in Norway. As you all know though, Swedish Match does tend to change their minds when they feel there is a call for a new snus flavor in other places so, we’ll have to see what the future brings. As you all remember from the Nick & Johnny East and West review, there was a time that we Snustopians thought that when Swedish Match discontinued them, it would not be long before the entire line was gone so, it’s great to see that a new member of the Nick & Johnny family was born. This is also a first for Snustopia. Usually, I get new snus flavors after they have been released but, the great folks at Swedish Match have allowed us this sneak peek of Nick & Johnny Black and felt the need to share it with all Snustopians so, without any further blabbering from me, let’s take a look at the newest creation from Swedish Match, Nick & Johnny Black portion snus!

When the package first arrived at my door here at the Ministry of Information I thought I forgot about another snus order I made because there was no return address on the plain, white bubble envelope just “To: That Snus Guy” and the address here in Snustopia. The only way I knew it was snus was the Swedish postage mark in the corner. When I opened the pack, there was simply a can of Nick & Johnny Black and a note that said simply, “Please review, will be available in Norway by the middle of September!” At first glance, the can pretty much looks like a can of Nick & Johnny Stark and the label looks like the negative from the Nick & Johnny Stark label but once you really take a look at it, there’s an elegant feel to it. “Hey Snus Guy, how does a can of snus look elegant?” Well, take a look at the picture to the right and you’ll see what I mean.

While the can its self is the same white, pearlescent plastic can that Nick & Johnny Stark has it’s the label that has the elegant feel. It’s the opposite of the Nick & Johnny Stark label with a black background and the lettering in gold. The word “Black” is in a white cartouche that has the look of a single paintbrush swipe and the word “Strong” in white along the side. They have even changed the label on top of the used portion compartment cap to match the label on the side. “Snus Guy, your can OCD is coming out again! Let’s hear about the snus already!” Sorry, it is a pretty cool can though.

Let’s start with the portions themselves. Nick & Johnny Black is classified as a White type, black portion which, as you all may remember, do not go thru the final step in the manufacturing process that adds a bit more moisture to them like Regular type ones. While this can leave the material a bit dry, Swedish Match uses the same soft material they use in all their black portions and stayed pretty comfortable in the lip for over 2 hours. The portions are also arranged in the unique “Star” pattern that Swedish Match uses for only the most special portion snus. Not only does this look pretty cool in the can, it gives the portions a wedge shape and adds to the comfort in the lip. “Sounds pretty good so far Snus Guy but, what about the Nicotine?” Well, let take a look at that!

Swedish Match describes Nick & Johnny Black as being pretty similar to Nick & Johnny Strong in every way with the exception of the portion color and Star pattern. The Nicotine level in Nick & Johnny Black is the same 11 mg per portion that Nick & Johnny Stark has but this is where the similarities end. The taste is where we need to look next!

Like I said, Swedish Match describes Nick & Johnny Black as being similar to its Stark sibling in taste but I taste a few differences and think the flavor is closer to another snus in the Swedish Match line, General Onyx! “Snus Guy, Onyx? It can’t be!” Well, there are quite a few similarities in the taste of the two. They both have a mild tobacco flavor and hints of citrus with a salty background but where Onyx has a Lemon flavor, Nick & Johnny has a bergamot taste. I know what you’re saying, “Snus Guy, what’s a bergamot?” Bergamot is a citrus fruit that’s grown in Italy and Spain and has the flavor that’s a cross between a lemon and a grapefruit. Its ability to blend well with the earthy, peaty flavor that tobacco has is truly unique and is the major taste difference between Nick & Johnny Black and Onyx. It’s also the common thread between both Nick & Johnny flavors and then there’s the saltiness. Nick & Johnny Stark has a light saltiness and the flavor of the tobacco takes center stage but in Nick & Johnny Black, the bergamot and salt are more predominant and mixes well with the hand selected tobaccos giving Nick & Johnny Black a taste that is pretty different from Nick & Johnny Stark! So, what drinks would go well with Nick & Johnny Black? Let’s take a look!

I thought I’d forgo my staple drinks of Diet Coke and Monster Energy Drinks and first start with the drink that went really well with Onyx, Lemonade. I figured since I tasted similar flavors in Nick & Johnny Black, it should go really well but, I was half right. The lemonade did go well with Nick & Johnny Black but it added a slight bitterness to it. I tried an iced green tea which also went well but my favorite was iced Earl Grey! Why Earl Grey, you ask? It’s because of the bergamot. You see, the thing that gives Earl Grey its distinct flavor is the addition of dried bergamot peel in the tea. That bergamot flavor along with the light bergamot flavor in Nick & Johnny Black helped to bring the tobacco flavor to the front as well as dimming down some of the saltiness. Overall, I really liked the flavor combination! Just as a side note, my staple drinks didn’t do too badly either with the Diet Coke being a neutral and the Monster adding a bit of sweetness.

My overall recommendations for Nick & Johnny Black portion snus Snustopians, is this; fans of the Nick & Johnny line will not be disappointed with this new addition. Fans of strong snus brands will find that Nick & Johnny Black’s 11 mg of Nicotine is perfect for an all day snus while beginners who want to try a stronger snus will find it’s a great higher Nicotine starter snus but alas, like I said in the beginning, Nick & Johnny Black will only be available in Norway for the time being. If Swedish Match does decide to release it to all Snustopians, you can be sure that Snustopia’s first shop for all things Swedish snus, The Northerner, will carry it! Until then, give them a try with your next order and, if it’s your first time ordering thru them, just click on the banner and get 10% off at checkout!

Well Snustopians, I hope you enjoyed this trip thru Nick & Johnny Black portion snus and found it fun and informative. Know that if Nick & Johnny Black does become available to the entire snus world, I will make sure I let each and every Snustopian know as soon as I do. I invite you all to leave any questions or suggestions you may have in the comments section below and I’ll try to answer them as soon as I can!

So Snustopians, until our next review, as always,

Happy Snusing!

That Snus Guy




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good review but I must say that I think it is absolutely criminal that you muddy the wonderful flavors of good snus with something as atrocious as both diet coke and monster energy drink. That being said from a practical standpoint its a little silly to include them in EVERY review you do... and let me tell you why. First of all I think its safe to say that you are in the minority when it comes to enjoying diet coke and monster as a drink period, let alone as a pairing for snus. With that in mind I think that very few people probably get anything useful out of that portion of your review simply because it simply does not apply to them. Secondly, when it comes to snus and drink pairing there are a host of much more viable candidates both in taste and the commonality of their consumption. For instance if you were to use iced tea, coffee, or hot tea (ie Earl Gray) not only do those three drinks typically go well with most snus but they are much more likely to have some relevancy to your audience because they are all commonly consumed beverages. Now let me add that I love your reviews in general and your blog is the go-to place for me when I want to know about a new taste profile or brand of snus. I always find your reviews both entertaining to read and informative. Its just that when I get to the part about monster and diet coke I either stop reading or get absolutely nothing out of the latter half. Lastly I hope you understand that my reasoning here is that it sort of ruins your credibility when it comes to snus by pairing it with such an odd choice of beverages, in the same way that it would a wine connoisseur if he chose sour skittles as a pairing with a fine French wine.

TobakGuy a.k.a. Rob Jarzombek said...

Hi Anonymous!

I wholeheartedly agree with your comment about pairing Diet Coke and Energy Drinks. :)

The last few reviews I've done, I've eliminated the whole drink pairings assessment. Like you said, it's like pairing Skittles with a fine French Wine. I feel in the future, I might suggest different coffees or teas and I've found some snus using friends of mine that suggest beers and such so, please look for those in the future.

Thanks again for the kind words and please, never be afraid to let me know when something is just not right! Constructive criticism will only make us stronger! :-)

Happy Snusing,

That Snus Guy