Monday, November 24, 2008

Christmas comes early to Snustopia!!!

Yes my fellow Snustopians you heard right! Christmas has indeed come early to Snustopia direct from the great folks at Swedish Match! Today, we will be doing a special review on General Onyx portion snus. Why is it special, you ask? Well, let's do the review on the snus first then, we'll go onto why this review is special!

General Onyx is a strong, large, white portion snus. The nicotine in this snus is 11 mg per portion which makes it stronger than the standard white portion but, the Nicotine content in this snus is not the only thing that makes Onyx unique! Take a look at the image to the right. This is a can of Onyx. As you can see, the can is unique to Onyx in the fact that the label is entirely matte black with gloss black embellishments. The other unique piece of the can is the lid of the used portion compartment. It looks like it's Aluminium but, it's actually a plastic lid with an embossed foil label. The body of the can is plastic as well. General Onyx is one of my absolute favorites and, the can is one of the reasons why. When I'm out and about, I always get to talk about snus when I take the can out for a portion and, after talking to them, thier first order will almost always include Onyx, simply for the can! I know your saying "Who cares about the can! I want to know what the snus tastes like SnusGuy!" Well, without further delay and, less cantor (I know.....cheesy), on to the portion review!

If you thought the can was cool and unique, the portion will blow your mind! Upon opening the can, you'll find the portions are Black. Take it easy, they haven't gone bad, it's just the color of the portion material. General wanted to keep the Onyx theme going by putting the tobacco in an "Onyx" colored pouch. The other thing you'll notice is, the portions are arranged in a circular pattern. Swedish Match calls this a "Star" pattern and, this also makes Onyx special. Swedish Match is the only snus manufacturer that uses this arrangement and, they only use it for "special" snus. There are a few other brands that Swedish Match has that use the Star pattern and, as we do more reviews, you'll see them.

The flavor is the real reason why I like Onyx. Onyx was included in my first snus order and, has been in every order since. Onyx flavor is basically, full flavored tobacco with citrus, salt and peppery notes. The tobacco flavor is the predominant player here with the citrus a close second. The salt along with the peppery note give this snus the flavor of a roasted lemon with salt and pepper lightly sprinkled on it. Trust me, the color of the portion has no effect on the flavor and, is not a coloring that will turn your teeth black. I say this because, when I first used it, I thought the same things!

General Onyx is a snus you could use at anytime of the day. The higher Nicotine in it, makes it a great snus for first thing in the morning with either a cup of Earl Gray or, coffee. I have had it with both and, I prefer the tea (hot or cold). It really brings out the lemony flavor and enhances the tobacco flavor as well. Ironically, I also have it with a Diet Coke and, volia, Diet Coke with Lemon! I highly recommend this snus for the new snusser who is trying to quit smoking as well.

"SnusGuy.....are you going to forget the reason for the "Special Review?" Not at all. While I am still unclear as to why Swedish Match decided to do this, I'm glad they did. About a week ago, Swedish Match announced they were releasing a Limited Edition of General Onyx, which they were limiting to a run of 1000 cans worldwide. The thing that was special about this edition was the can. The can is made entirely out of Carbon Fiber! The can was designed by Swedish Match and produced by the same supplier that develops carbon fiber parts for Porsche and Koeningsegg! What's really special is that Swedish Match has chosen to give can #889 to Snustopia! The picture on the right is the carbon fiber can with it's presentation pouch. Snustopia, and it's founder, is extremely honored by being picked to receive such a glorius gift!
Gifts aside, I encourage you to give General Onyx a try. I'm positive you'll enjoy it as much as I do and, will become another favorite in your rotation!

2 comments:

Aaron said...

Yeah!!, Mine is # 0868. If I hadn't got mine in the mail today I'd be sooo jealous of you and Xobeloot!

Pavol Cernak said...

Just taking a portion. Very good! One would say it's snussing for the VIP.